Creative DIY Like Mother Like Daughter

Creative DIY Projects

Happy 4th of July July 4, 2015

Filed under: Life's Precious Moments — Colli @ 8:00 am

Screenshot 2015-06-28 20.45.55


Project Grass No More Has Begun June 25, 2015

Filed under: Adventures in Project Land,Gardening — Colli @ 10:50 am

The end of summer this year is my deadline to eliminate the grass in the front yard. My plan is to add planter edging to the planters that need is and mark off where the paths will be. The yards is slowly starting to take shape.


I am slowly changing the sprinklers to drip line and calculating the amount of gravel I will need. Before I can buy the gravel I need to locate a rock company in our area because I do not like the rocks Home Depot sells in bags. But I am pleased with how things are progressing.



Happy Birthday to me! June 18, 2015

Filed under: Life's Precious Moments — Colli @ 11:14 am

Years ago  I was taken to the Pope Valley Turkey shoot by my friends David and Jennifer. While I was there I became friends with more people including Steve and Phil (aka Philbilly). After the Turkey shoot we went to a friend’s house to do some fun shooting and Philbilly taught be how to shoot. It was a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express and love at first shot!

Over the years I have been shooting and love it. Memorial Day weekend we went shooting and it was the first time my husband had seen me shoot before. I think that he truely understood my love for 12 gauge after that day.

For my birthday he surprised me by buying me my own shotgun! No more sharing others guns with them….. Hooray!

Now I just have to wait for July 3rd so I can fire it for the first time! I am sooooo excited!


Belated but Still Amazing June 11, 2015

Filed under: Life's Precious Moments — Colli @ 11:13 am

In May my sister and I went to go see New Kids On The Block! It was an amazing show featuring Nelly and TLC as openers. Of course they were not as good as NKOTB but it was still a wonderful event.

Here are some of the pictures I took of the slow (mind you they are taken with my iphone):

IMG_3856 IMG_3861  IMG_3866 IMG_3898     IMG_3903 IMG_3904 IMG_3905 IMG_3906  IMG_3908 IMG_3910 IMG_3912

When we left the concert we were smiling and giggly! A dream come true for us! We did not have voices the next morning but it was worth it.


Project Pretty Patio Has Begun June 4, 2015

Our patio has been a sad point for me for a while. I  tried to have furniture out there but Rosco ate it. Now I have the dog pen fenced off and the stucco done, it is time to start reviving the patio.

First step was to paint the stucco walls because I did not want to have to move things around to do it later. While the paint dried I collecting all the wood and made one pile for cutting. Ash and Damion cut it all up so we can burn it in the fire pit.

Summer Fire Pit Wood Stack

Summer Fire Pit Wood Stack

I think that I have collected enough for the summer. It is not the prettiest looking pile but that will not last long. Now that all the scrap wood and trash is cleaned up it is time to install the drip line along the dog fence line.


The drip line will water the potato vine that I have growing on the fence. My hope it to have a living fence of potato vine to hide the dog area. This walkway is not a perfect place to use the greenhouse and my storage box. My new garden will be around that corner of house so I am pleased with the new efficiency.


This photo is panoramic so it make it look much larger

There is still more to move into place and it still feels bare but I have some plans to brighten it up and make it feel more inviting.


Trim and Baseboards Done!! May 4, 2015

This took so much longer than I thought it would to finish. We did the main work, cleaned up and took a small break. Well the small break turned into months because life happened, as it usually does. When fall and the rain arrived I started to ask, ok lets me honest I started to nag Ashlin about getting this done. I mean we need to finish this room so we can start another, right? Actually I think that might be the reason he was happy to let us drag our feet.

Finally, my parents came up for a day of work and this project was one on the list. Ash and I measured the walls and went to Home Depot for the trim and baseboard the night before. Then we removed all the furniture from the walls so everything was ready for Dad to install in the morning. It was an odd feeling for me to have the house taken apart like that again, like going backwards on a rollercoaster knowing you are about to get rocketed forward any time.

My Dad works so fast I did not have time to take pictures of him working but that is fine with me because it is done and looks wonderful!





Time to plan the next project.


Recycled Retaining Walls Stones April 27, 2015

Filed under: Gardening — Colli @ 5:01 pm
Tags: , , , , ,

One of my friends was getting rid of some retaining wall stones from her yard. She is in the process of redoing her yard and had a stack of them for me. So many that it took two truck loads to bring them all to the house. Sadly I did not remember to take pictures because the hand truck bit my head LOL!

Once we got the stones home we lined them up-end to end along the property line dividing our front yard from our neighbors. The plan is to eventually fence in the front yard but in the mean time I want to eliminate the grass. Placing the stones along the line allows me to fill in the bark all the way to the stones.

There are a couple of trees and a rose-bush along the edge which were hard to mow around so now the bark will eliminate that problem too.

IMG_3775 IMG_3774

I think that it makes a nice break in the yards and has eye-appeal! A few more stones and the edge will be complete.



Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 115 other followers